Week of January 17th!

Image result for 100th day of school
Reminders:
  • This Thursday, January 19th is the 100th Day of School! Please remember to send in the 100th Day project, a clear bottle filled with 100 of the same item. We will be using these on Thursday as well as many other fun activities to celebrate this special day. I can hardly believe it myself!!
Weekly News:
Homework This Week: On the right side of the homework folder, you will find the spelling words for the week, spelling homework and the  reading logs that they need to fill out nightly. On the left side of the folder will be a new Choice Board. Students will have to complete at least 6 squares per month. As they complete these items, they can color the squares in and put any written work related to these assignments on the left side.  I have included a double-sided sheet of writing paper. Please let me know if you need more. For math homework, please have your child practice math flash cards ( addition and subtraction facts to 20) for 5-10 minutes each night.
Math: We will start solving equations with unknown variables, otherwise known as missing addends. For example, 8+?=15. It will be very helpful if students have their math facts memorized for this unit!

Reading: We will continue learning about the Central Messages that authors try to convey in their stories. This is very similar to the lesson or moral of a story. We will continue developing our mind movies and connections while reading as well!

Writing: We will officially kick off our Opinion Writing Unit! This is a unit where I find there is never a lack of things to write about, ha! They ALL have their opinions, and that is wonderful! We will finally get to share the items from their bags this week.

Phonics: This week we will be learning about making the Long A sound by using the letters “ai” as it wait, and “ay” as in clay. This may be a little tricky for them, so try to get some time in for review this week. There will be a spelling test this Friday.

Social Studies: We will start to learn about President Theodore Roosevelt and all of the things that he did to make our country stronger and more beautiful!

S.T.E.M. We will be creating our own unique “snowflakes” using base ten blocks. They will have to create these snowflakes within the parameters of “Greater Than” and “Less Than” block totals.

I hope that everyone has a fantastic week!

Melissa