First Grade, First Week, First Day!

Image result for first day of school

First Day Reminders:

• Please have your child return all the completed items on the left side of his/her blue communication folder. There is a form, the “What’s In a Bag,” homework assignment, and your child’s yellow bus tag.
  • We have P.E. on Monday, so please remember to send your child in with his/her gym shoes!!

What We Are Learning This Week:

This week we will start out with many “Getting to Know You,” activities. We will be sharing our “All About Me,” bags, collecting data on all of our favorite things, developing our classroom community, and most importantly, establishing our rules and expectations for behavior and how we will treat each other this year.

Students will learn all about our classroom’s good behavior incentives. I reward tickets in our classroom which students can exchange for a multitude of positive rewards. I also give out Wow cards for excellent behavior. Please check the calendar on the back of your child’s Blue communication folder to see if your child earned a Wow card, or, on the contrary, an Oops card. I will have a brief explanation written.

Math-We will be collecting data and creating bar graphs to display this information. I will also start assessing students’ ability to Count and Write numbers to 120.

Reading– This week we will start building our stamina when reading quietly, as well as learning how to select appropriate books for each child’s reading level.

Writing-Students will do a fun Rainbow Writing activity about themselves Monday-look for it their folders Monday.  It’s fun to save a couple of these early writing samples to then compare their work to what they are producing at the end of the year. You will be amazed! We will also start to brainstorm information about ourselves and will begin to turn these details into a writing piece about ourselves. In the beginning of the year we reinforce the basics: Capital letters to start sentences, appropriate spacing and punctuation to end!

Social Studies-We will be talking all about Respect this week. Respect for our friends, teacher, family and school! I love this beginning unit because there are some many wonderful books and activities to make these important concepts and lessons FUN!

STEM/Science- We will begin our units and STEM activities next week!

If I have forgotten ANYTHING, please do not hesitate to email me!

Have a fantastic week!

Melissa