Week of January 9th!

So, it’s not EXACTLY a Winter Wonderland out there, but it’s a great weekend to relax, play games, take walks and just have fun as a family! Enjoy!
Reminders:
  • Please sign the Report Card envelopes and return just the envelopes to school on  Monday. Please do NOT lick the envelopes!
  • Please send back the paper bags filled with 5 of your child’s favorite things on Monday. If the actual item is too big, you can send in a picture.
Weekly News:
Homework This Week: On the right side of the homework folder, you will find the spelling words for the week, spelling homework and the  reading logs that they need to fill out nightly. On the left side of the folder will be a new Choice Board. Students will have to complete at least 6 squares per month. As they complete these items, they can color the squares in and put any written work related to these assignments on the left side.  I have included a double-sided sheet of writing paper. Please let me know if you need more. For math homework, please have your child practice math flash cards ( addition and subtraction facts to 20) for 5-10 minutes each night.
Math: We will continue learning about Greater Than, Less Than, and Equal To equations. We’ve been learning that the “alligator” always eats the larger number. I’ve noticed that the class could use some work with the automaticity  of their math facts. Your math homework this week will be to make or buy addition and subtraction flash cards to 20 and practice for 5-10 minutes each night :). I’d recommend starting with addition, then moving along to subtraction.

Reading: We will be learning about the Central Messages that authors try to convey in their stories. This is very similar to the lesson or moral of a story. We will continue developing our mind movies and connections while reading as well!

Writing: We will kick off our Opinion Writing Unit! This is a unit where I find there is never a lack of things to write about, ha! They ALL have their opinions, and that is wonderful! We will get to finally share our favorite things from our paper bags and write about them.

Phonics: This week we will be learning about making the Long A sound by using the letters “ai” as it wait, and “ay” as in clay. This may be a little tricky for them, so try to get some time in for review this week.

Social Studies: We will wrap up our unit on our global address and start learning about the inspiring Martin Luther King Jr. We will focus upon how important it is to stand up for what you believe in!

S.T.E.M. We will be creating our own unique “snowflakes” using base ten blocks. They will have to create these snowflakes within the parameters of “Greater Than” and “Less Than” block totals.

I hope that everyone has a fantastic week!

Melissa